Kapitell des ehemaligen Prangers

Neumarkt im Hausruckkreis, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups
  • Suitable for pushchairs

In earlier times, a pillory was an instrument of punishment used to enforce disgraceful or honourable punishments. The punishment consisted of the public disgrace that the convicted person had to endure. He was usually chained to the pillory for one hour on three consecutive days, with a written statement of his offence. Towns and markets each had their own pillory, which was usually erected in the market square. It not only served to punish offenders, but was also the external symbol of market jurisdiction. The so-called Freyung, a stylised arm with a sword in its hand, was placed on or near the pillory on court and market days. Until 2019, it was no longer known exactly when the Neumarkt pillory was erected. The pillory was not explicitly mentioned in the market privileges of 1543 and their confirmation in 1580. The only remaining relic of the old pillory was the octagonal capital, which was used for over 200 years as a so-called corner sling stone (to protect the corner of the house at the Messeleserhaus or Haus am Gänsbichl (Market 89, no longer exists) from cart wheels). During the redesign of the square, the column end was excavated and the year 1620 was uncovered and deciphered by the local history society. In the Neumarkt market archives, a single record of the use of a pillory punishment from 1690 was found: "... the thief Paul Stiglmayr, bricklayer at St. Marienkirchen, is to be placed in the pillory and beaten there with rods by Freimann."

The reforms of Emperor Joseph II also made some changes to the legal system. The patrimonial courts (the Neumarkt market also functioned as such) were restricted to civil law matters in 1787, meaning that the pillory lost its function here too. As a result, the market accounts for 1789 report on the removal of the pillory and the sale of the individual parts, which together with the surviving capital gives us an idea of the appearance of the instrument of punishment: "The old bricks from the demolished pillory sold to Mr Karl Wurm (1 fl.). 3 Sept. to the eh. Adam Wallner the bricks from the broken pillory sold 4 fl. 30. The pillory columns sold to Mr Göttner 1 fl. 40 Because of the breaking off of the pillory and the making of the path in Bad Gaßl paid 1 fl. 42. The blacksmith Purg 25 Pfd. Eysen old from the pillory à 4 kr. = 1 fl. 36." Based on the quantities of building materials, it can be assumed that the pillory was a substantial brick-built platform, which was covered with stones and supported an octagonal granite column. A chain with handcuffs and necklaces was probably attached to it as a deterrent, as well as a stone as a shackle (presumably this stone was found by the local history society in 2018). Unfortunately, the top of the pillory column can no longer be reconstructed. In many cases, there was a figure or iron flag on the capital, in other cases a stone cone with a stone ball as a crown.

As part of the celebrations to mark the 800th anniversary of Neumarkt i.H., the municipality re-erected the capital and the plague column at the new Platz der Begegnung.


  • always open (24/7)

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • Free entry
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups
  • Suitable for schools
  • Suitable for pushchairs
  • Suitable for teenagers
  • Suitable for seniors
  • Suitable for single travelers
  • Suitable for friends
  • Suitable for children
Season
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Kapitell des ehemaligen Prangers
Marktplatz
4720 Neumarkt im Hausruckkreis

Phone +43 7733 7254
E-Mail gemeinde@neumarkt-hausruck.ooe.gv.at
Web www.neumarkt-hausruckkreis.at/
http://www.neumarkt-hausruckkreis.at/

Contact person
Pfarre Neumarkt/Hausruck

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA