Gotische Pfarrkirche mit Sternrippengewölbe Gutau

Gutau, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups

The Gothic parish church in Gutau:
(Excerpts from the church guide of the Gutau parish and the archives of St Florian's Abbey, Alfred Atteneder)
The first church, presumably still built of wood, was probably erected by the "Griesbachers", an extinct settler family.

The first documented mention of the parish of Gutau is said to date back to 1122, although this is believed to be a later forgery. However, the next historical date is certain: on 12 October 1131, the presbytery (choir) of the church was consecrated by Bishop Reginmar of Passau. The nave was completed in 1147, and there are still remains of the masonry on the west and north walls.


The document from 1131 describes the parish district, which stretched from Reichenstein in the south to Bohemia in the north and was presumably separated from the parish of Ried. Later, the former branches of Gutau developed into their own parishes, such as Lasberg, St Oswald, Kefermarkt and St Leonhard. In the 12th century, the church and its associated estates passed to St Florian's Abbey.



The parish of Gutau remained in the possession of St Florian's Abbey until 1717, when it came into the possession of the Starhemberg family through an exchange with the parish of St Gotthard. The oldest surviving part of the parish church from the 14th century is the early Gothic cemetery or crypt chapel (today's Loretto or St Mary's Chapel), which was incorporated into the parish church when the Gothic nave was built. The Gothic choir was built around 1400, and the current baptistery was added to the north side a little later.


The church took on its familiar appearance with the construction of the three-aisled, late Gothic nave with its impressive star-ribbed vaulting and the west gallery as part of a major remodelling project completed around 1510.

The richly decorated entrance portal to the sacristy also dates from this time.


The strikingly sloping west wall of the church (rear wall) is related to the integration of the tower.



The tower, which probably stood free-standing in front of the church and still had Romanesque foundations, was extended several times and received its current spire after the market fire in 1733. The baroque furnishings of the church were added from 1670.



The altarpiece with St. Ägidius and the excerpt painting are works by the Baroque painter Clemens Beuttler from 1679. The Baroque console figures on the side walls of the nave and the pulpit also date from this period.



The neo-Gothic decoration and the side altars were removed during a renovation in 1960. The last major interior renovation was carried out in 1980/81, when the floor of the chancel was raised, a round window was installed in the baptistery and new liturgical furnishings by the Linz sculptor Hermann Dimmel were purchased. The last exterior renovation took place in 1989, when the tower was restored to its original Gothic appearance by painting over the cornerstones.

Excerpts from the church guide of the Gutau parish
and the archive of St Florian's Abbey
Alfred Atteneder

  • opened daily

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
Service
  • Guided tour
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups
  • Suitable for schools
  • Suitable for seniors
  • Suitable for single travelers
  • Suitable for friends
  • Suitable for couples
Season
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Gotische Pfarrkirche mit Sternrippengewölbe Gutau
St. Leonharderstraße 57
4293 Gutau

Phone +43 7946 6261
E-Mail pfarre.gutau@dioezese-linz.at
Web www.dioezese-linz.at/pfarre/4111/mi…
Web www.dioezese-linz.at/gutau
https://www.dioezese-linz.at/pfarre/4111/miteinander/geschichte
http://www.dioezese-linz.at/gutau

Contact person

Pfarre Gutau

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA