Pfarrkirche Schönau

Schönau im Mühlkreis, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups

The Church of St James, built in the Romanesque style, is located on a pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela (Spain) that was much travelled in the Middle Ages. The parish church of St James was first mentioned in documents around 1230 and was originally a branch church of Naarn. The walls of the nave are still Romanesque. The low, squat church tower dates back to the 13th/14th century. Around 1516, the nave was remodelled in Gothic style (ribbed vaulting). 1968 Extension of the church: demolition of the Gothic, baroqueised choir and the Gothic west gallery by Anton Zemann, removal of the neo-Gothic furnishings. The modern extension is asymmetrically attached to the old nave and contains the chancel, baptistery, sacristy and new organ loft. The interior is made up of various individual parts. The organ (1993) with 2 manuals and 18 stops was built by the Upper Austrian organ builder St Florian. There are 4 bells (g, b, d, h) in the church tower.

  • opened daily

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • All weather
  • Suitable for groups

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Pfarrkirche Schönau
Kirchengasse 1
4274 Schönau im Mühlkreis

Phone +43 7261 7268
Fax machine +43 7261 725519
E-Mail pfarre.schoenau@dioezese.linz.at
Web www.schoenau-im.at
http://www.schoenau-im.at

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA