Schwertberg Castle

Schwertberg, Oberösterreich, Österreich
Schwertberg Castle´s was first officially mentioned in 1327. Since 1911, the castle has been in the hands of the Counts of Hoyos.
The castle was erected on a riff on the banks of the River Aist in the second half of the 13th century. In 1563, Georg Erasmus of Tschernembl was among the Province´s most important politicians and spokesmen of the Protestants. The Counts of Tschernembl had the Castle extended and augmented in splendid Renaissance style.

Over the centuries, several notable people have owned or been linked with it. Held by the Noblemen of Meggau, Starhemberg and Kueffstein, the castle was then granted to the Thürheim dynasty in 1749. Since 1911, the castle has been privately owned by the Hoyos dynasty.

As it is a private property, Schwertberg Castle can be visited from the outside only.

  • Can only be viewed from outside

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.


Schwertberg Castle
Aisttalstraße 1
4311 Schwertberg

Phone +43 7262 61155
Fax machine +43 7262 62775

Contact person
Marktgemeinde Schwertberg

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA