Liebfrauenkirche Church

Freistadt, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather

The Church of Our Lady "Maria Hilf" is located outside the old town centre near the Böhmertor. It is structurally connected to the house of the school sisters via the sacristy.

The church impresses with an early Baroque high altar and an almost floor-to-ceiling light column (death lamp) with typical Gothic decorative forms. The Liebfrauenkirche in front of the Böhmertor was first mentioned as a hospital church in 1345.

It burnt down in 1361, was rebuilt and destroyed again by the Hussites in 1422. The current church was built around 1450 and its light-flooded chancel is particularly noteworthy.

Since the cemetery, which once surrounded the church, was abandoned, the chancel has been home to the late Gothic lamp for the dead. It was donated in 1484 by Mayor Wolfgang Horner as a lux perpetua lamp.

  • opened daily
  • open to the public

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • All weather

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Liebfrauenkirche Church
Klosterbergl 2
4240 Freistadt

Phone +43 7942 73278
E-Mail pfarre.freistadt@dioezese-linz.at
Web www.dioezese-linz.at/freistadt
https://www.dioezese-linz.at/freistadt

Contact person

Pfarre Freistadt
4240 Freistadt

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA